Sugar Confectionery and Breath Fresheners - US - December 2014
“While there remain concerns about the nutritional content of sugar confectionery products, ultimately, consumers still want to indulge. The category continues to grow as a result of new product innovation catering to consumption occasions and keeping the category fresh and exciting. In addition to these successes, there is opportunity to grow in-store retailing, as well as seasonal offerings.”
– Amanda Topper, Food Analyst
This report answers the following questions:
- What impact will health have on the category?
- How is innovation boosting category sales?
The sugar confectionery category grew 21% from 2009-14, and is expected to grow an additional 25% from 2014-19. Consumers remain interested in the category despite an overall trend toward more healthful eating. While some consumers look for products featuring natural ingredients, flavors, or sweeteners, many value the indulgent factor of these products and eat them to indulge a craving or treat themselves.
In contrast, the gum, breath fresheners, and mints category declined 6% from 2009-14, and is expected to decline an additional 3% from 2014-19. This is due to declining consumption, a lack of innovation, increased snacking, and greater competition from other candy and mints.
Mintel provides a comprehensive analysis of the following factors that have the greatest potential to impact the category’s performance:
- The types of confectionery consumers eat and how consumption differs by demographics.
- Motivations for eating sugar confectionery, including both functional and emotional drivers.
- The most popular retail channels consumers buy sugar confectionery, as well as the area of the store where they make their purchases.
- The top product characteristics consumers look for when buying sugar confectionery products.
- Consumer behaviors and attitudes related to sugar confectionery, including consumption habits, purchase behavior, and perceptions of ingredients and brands.
This report builds on the analysis presented in Mintel’s Non-chocolate Confectionery – US, December 2012 and Gum, Mints, and Breath Fresheners – US, December 2013 reports.
The report includes sales of the following products:
- Chewy candy
- Seasonal candy
- Hard candy
- Other sugar confectionery (licorice, novelty, others)
For the purposes of this report, sugar confectionery is defined as including the following:
- All non-chocolate confectionery items based mainly on sugar and/or artificial sweeteners. Candies sweetened with fruit juice and/or honey are also within the scope of this report. Included in the definition are toffees, jellies, fruity candies, hard candies, nut/coconut candies, and licorice. Non-chocolate seasonal candy is also included in the scope of this report. IRI classifies all Tootsie Roll and Reese’s Pieces products as non-chocolate, so they are also covered here.
- Excluded from this report are chocolate and random weight candy.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.