Tea and Other Hot Drinks - UK - February 2011
The tea market has seen a declining user base due to the failure of standard “English” breakfast tea to resonate among younger (under-35) consumers as it did with previous generations. Hot chocolate is a small but growing market. It has the potential to be much bigger but must overcome consumers’ perception that it should be only an occasional rather than regular treat.
- More new product development which blurs the lines between hot chocolate as a liquid and as a solid can help reposition it as an everyday indulgence.
- For the new generation of tea drinkers it is vital to link the benefits of particular teas to specific mood states.
- The predominantly 18-34 year-old ‘white collar’ audience who like to drink speciality tea rather than just standard “English” breakfast (ie Tetley, PG Tips) are very open to premium marketing cues.
- There is an opportunity to develop an energy-infused herbal tea to attract more young (18-34), male, ‘blue collar’ drinkers. This group are currently much more likely than average to be put off drinking herbal tea because over a quarter think of it as “just for women”.
- To become more mainstream, herbal teas needs to continue innovating around flavour in order to improve its taste. Currently, 22 million of the UK population drink standard tea and over half (56%) have tried herbal tea but did not like the taste.
- By focusing on specific occasions that they can be drunk at home, hot beverages can help younger consumers to understand how these products can fit into their lives. Malted drink Horlicks has been able to grow sales of a highly traditional product by marketing it to women as ‘made for evenings’.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.