Tea and RTD Teas - US - May 2009
Following years of rapid growth driven by the healthy eating trend, the tea market sputtered in 2008 as consumers cut back spending amidst the economic downturn. Sales of ready-to-drink (RTD) tea—the largest and, until recently, fastest growing segment in the category—stalled as consumers switched to more economical options, including private label teas, self-brewed tea, and carbonated soft drinks.
This report discusses how consumer trends, the lagging economy, and product innovation are shaping the tea market. In addition to presenting sales data by segment, supplier and brand, the report considers a range of topics, including:
- The size of the tea market and how the healthy eating trend has driven market growth over the past five years—and how this growth will develop in the future
- How the current economic recession is impacting various segments within the tea market
- How some brands managed to thrive in 2008 despite an overall decline in RTD tea sales
- A spotlight on brands that have carved out distinct brand identities that have helped them succeed in an increasingly crowded category
- How the addition of Starbuck’s premium RTD Tazo Iced Tea to the Pepsi/Lipton Tea Partnership joint venture will impact the tea market
- The latest trends in product innovation, from “superfruit” flavors to a new line of kid-targeted teas from the Republic of Tea
- Which consumer groups offer the greatest potential for tea marketers
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.