Tea: Spotlight on Bagged/Looseleaf Tea - US - August 2016
"Strong year-over-year growth continues for tea, despite struggles in dollar sales from brewed tea (bagged, loose leaf, and single cup teas) as the segment faces greater innovation within the RTD tea space, longer purchase cycles, and sales loss from leading bagged tea companies. Total category sales are expected to continue upward as consumers search for functional, healthful drinks, particularly driven by RTD tea growth."
- Elizabeth Sisel, Beverage Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Bagged/loose leaf tea sales decline
- Tea remains second to coffee consumption
- High bagged tea consumption rates do not translate to sales gains
- Need to expand usage occasions among US drinkers
This Report covers the retail market for tea purchased for at-home or on-the-go consumption. For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Canned/bottled RTD tea – shelf-stable RTD teas in single-serve and multi-serve sizes
- Refrigerated tea – fresh brewed tea requiring refrigeration or teas sold in the refrigerated or chilled areas at retail in single-serve or multi-serve sizes. This includes kombucha; however, sales are too small to reflect any effect on the category
- Bagged, loose leaf, and single-cup teas, including black, white, green, and fruit/herbal teas - bagged may be single-cup or multi-cup sizes. Powdered teas do not refer to instant mixes or crystalized teas or powders, but rather powdered tea leaves that are brewed and ingested (eg matcha).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.