The Black Apparel and Footwear Consumer - October - 2013
“Black consumers spend a tremendous amount of their discretionary income on apparel and footwear. Although the recent recession did impact apparel expenditures, steady increases have been observed in the last two years. Black consumers tend to be style conscious and follow the latest fashion trends. This consumer loves to shop and shop a wide range of stores – brick and mortar as well as online.”
– Tonya Roberts, Multicultural Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Compared to 2010, how have Black consumers’ attitudes and behaviors toward apparel and footwear changed?
- What influences Black consumers’ decisions to buy clothing and apparel? Where are they shopping?
- What role does their image play in what they wear and what their children wear? What are some missed opportunities?
Black consumers love to shop and they spend a large amount of their disposable income on clothing and footwear. Style is very important to Black consumers and they see it as a way to express their individuality. Many Black consumers also view themselves as trendsetters and feel that staying on top of the latest fashions is important in their lives. Therefore, there is a tremendous opportunity for retailers to reach out to this audience with fashion forward clothing and footwear that appeals to their sense of style.
This report explores the following as it relates to Black consumers and apparel and footwear:
- How have expenditures changed since the last report?
- How important are designer brand names?
- Where do they typically buy clothing and footwear?
- How does shopping vary by gender. Does it vary based on whether they’re buying for themselves vs. their children?
- Are they shopping at different stores for shoes vs. clothes?
- Given the importance of image to Black consumers, to what extent do clothing and footwear play a role in helping to shape the image they want to project to others?
- How important is their image and self-perception?
- What does their style say about them? Do they consider themselves trendsetters?
This report is an update on Mintel’s Black Apparel and Footwear – US, August 2010, and covers the following products:
- Clothing and apparel for adults and children;
- Footwear for adults and children.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.