Sub-Saharan African Hotel Market Research - September 2012
Key findings in the Sub-Saharan African Hotel Market
- Major challenges face hotel owners in most of sub-Saharan Africa, particularly in terms of lack of adequate infrastructure and security. Nevertheless, hotel development is accelerating with the number of rooms in the pipeline up over 40% year on year as of the beginning of 2012.
- Mauritius, a prime island beach destination, and South Africa offer the best business environment in the region for hospitality and tourism, according to the World Economic Forum (WEF), although the latter presents serious concerns regarding security. While Kenya is a well-established leisure tourism destination, it is rated worst in the world for security by the WEF.
- Among the major international chains, Starwood is the best placed in sub-Saharan Africa, notably with a strong presence and pipeline in the key Nigerian market. Accor also has a strong presence, with over 5,000 rooms in the region, which are heavily concentrated in South Africa. Otherwise, InterContinental Hotels Group – IHG (about 2,240 rooms) and Carlson Rezidor (1,668 rooms) are the only other international operators to have significant capacity in the region.
- There are three South African chains of significant size, including Tsogo Sun, Protea Hotels and City Lodge Hotels group, which have a combined total capacity in excess of 30,000 rooms, most of which are located in the home market. However, curiously, Tsogo Sun has very few projects in the growing pipeline of chain hotel development in sub-Saharan African countries outside of South Africa.
- Lonrho, a conglomerate active in the agribusiness sector i Tsogo Sun in particular, is bringing low-cost lodging and air transport to Africa. The group has signed an exclusive master franchise agreement to develop easyHotels across the continent. The group has also launched fly540, the first budget airline in sub-Saharan Africa operating outside of South Africa.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.