Theme Parks - UK - February 2010
- In 2009, the theme parks market grew by 2.4% to £315 million. Admissions grew by more than 3% to almost 14 million.
- Average spend per head has increased by almost 13% over the past five years.
- The industry has benefited from the economic recession because the more straightened financial circumstances of many consumers and a weak pound: a greater number decided to stay at home (‘Staycations’) and take more day trips, short breaks and even their main holiday in the UK rather than travel abroad.
- The weakness of sterling has encouraged more inbound tourism, benefiting the parks around London, where the majority of inbound tourists spend their time.
- With policies of sustained and consistent investment in new rides, attractions and areas, the theme parks industry has proactively contributed to the good performance of the market. Where previously major investment might have occurred every two or three years, parks are now introducing new attractions every year, stimulating repeat business.
- A quarter of adults visited a theme park in 2009. Of these, 88% were returning visitors and 12% were first-time visitors, emphasising the importance of maintaining a strong relationship with customers.
- Convenience and affordability are key to attracting visitors, such as being able to check themselves in with tickets pre-printed at home, queue-avoiding and discounted accommodation and/or travel deals.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.