Trends in Snacking and Value Menus in Restaurants - US - June 2013
“Consumers are shifting the way they use foodservice. Instead of large meals, they are tending to snack more. This is a reflection of the economy, as well as their focus on health concerns. Consumers are also using snacking as a way to socialize, choosing snacks rather than meals and sharing items. Understanding how consumers are using restaurants in terms of what they are ordering, from where, and what else they would like to see on the menu can help restaurants remain competitive. Finding the right balance of price, health, and item type to meet the social and other snacking needs is keeping restaurants up at night.”
– Bethany Wall, Foodservice Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How to meet the needs of consumers as they shift toward a snack culture
- How socialization affects menu offerings and how items are consumed
- How health impacts restaurant snacking in terms of items and usage
- The price value proposition that attracts patrons and drives consumption
Snacking has become a part of consumers’ daily routines due to an increasingly on-the-go lifestyle, coupled with a tendency toward smaller, more frequent meals. Due to the changing definition of “snack,” beverages and mini-meals consisting of a few sides have brought drinks, sides, and desserts into the spotlight. Also, with an increased focus on health, better-for-you items bring soups and salads into play as well as an opportunity for healthful spins on more indulgent items that including healthier ingredients and controlled portion sizes.
As consumers continue to grapple with the weak economy, restaurants must find ways to draw in consumers. Price versus value proposition is the key in attracting consumers and restaurants must find a balance. Additionally, consumers are increasingly interested in sharable items, seeking variety and customizability, creating a more interactive and social dining experience.
This report explores snacking trends and opportunities within the foodservice space, by understanding the current marketplace, revealing competitive developments, uncovering marketing techniques and innovative technologies that restaurant operators can utilize, viewing snack trends on restaurant menus, and featuring consumer behavior and attitudes.
Among the topics covered in this report are:
- How key marketplace issues and market drivers are impacting snacking at restaurants
- Innovative snacking trends, including items and technology that operators are currently implementing
- Menu trends by price point, and how operators are marketing these snack and value offerings
- Snack usage by type of restaurant, including order type as well as LSR and FSR breakout
- Types of snacks typically ordered, as well as items consumers would like to see added to menus
- Reasons consumers visit restaurants for snacks, and changes in behavior compared to last year
- Attitudes toward snacking at restaurants, including demographic breakouts that reveal opportunities
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.