Underwear - UK - February 2011
While the majority of women favour basic and plain styles of underwear and men tend to always opt for the same styles they always wear, the underwear market is still strongly influenced by fashion. Innovation in fabrics and new designs are strong drivers of sales in the underwear market, with 2010 seeing lots of new products launched onto the market, helping to encourage consumers to buy new pieces for reasons other than just replacement.
- The underwear market began to bounce back in 2010, with sales increasing 1% to £2.6 billion following a tough 2009 as a result of the recession.
- Marks & Spencer had increased in popularity among women, with over half currently purchasing from M&S (54% in 2010 versus 49% in 2009).
- Women favour basic and plain styles of underwear over sexy pieces, with half buying everyday plain styles for themselves, compared with just over one in ten (12%) who buy luxury/sexy styles.
- Under-35s are almost three times as likely as their older counterparts to buy underwear sets (63% versus 22%), with interest in having co-ordinated bra and brief sets diminishing with age.
- One in five women had a bra fitting during 2010, rising to nearly three in ten 55-64s and a quarter of 35-44s.
- Shapewear has risen in popularity with more than one in ten women having bought shapewear in 2010, a 2-percentage point increase since 2009.
- Women are more experimental with their underwear than men, with nearly one in five (17%) liking to try different styles.
- New high profile entrants to the lingerie market - including Victoria’s Secret and Amazon - have led to increased media coverage of the sector and are also likely to drive consumer interest.
- One of the main trends of 2010 was the blurring of the lines between underwear and outerwear, driven by singers such as Lady Gaga, Lily Allen and Rihanna.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.