Vacuum Cleaners - US - November 2009
The $2.4 billion vacuum market is a mature market that has seen inflation-adjusted sales fall from 2004-2009. While pressure from low cost imports and the shift towards hard-surface flooring have limited growth in the market, these difficulties have been compounded in 2008 by the recession. Surprisingly, however, the market is seeing growth in 2009, reasons for which are a central topic of this report.
Notably, consumers have been holding off on replacements and trading down to less expensive products and models. However, demographic shifts, product innovations and “green” trends, including interest in products that conserve energy and create a healthy home are also creating growth opportunities, especially for products such as stick vacuums, and steam cleaners.
Exclusive research into consumer ownership and purchasing of vacuums is analyzed by key demographic groups (gender, age, household income, ethnicity) as well as for high spenders. Research examines specific products owned, when most recent purchases were made, and reasons for purchase, including:
- Which groups own or intend to purchase the most vacuums?
- What features (including HEPA filtration, bagless technology, energy conservation and appearance) are valued by different consumer groups?
- How much did consumers spend on their last vacuum and how much do they plan to spend on their next?
- What motivated the purchase of the most recent vacuum and which consumer groups are most likely to be first-time buyers, replacement buyers, or drawn to upgrade to new features?
- Which brands do different consumer groups favor and which groups show the greatest brand allegiance or look at the greatest range of brands when seeking a new vacuum?
- What type of research do consumers undertake prior to buying a new vacuum? Which consumers are more likely to look on the internet, take interest in TV ads or rely on in-store marketing?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.