Video Game Accessories - UK - September 2010
- A quarter of gamers agree plan to invest in a motion-control system when it becomes available for their console. This is likely to be driven by the innovative nature of next-generation systems, such as Kinect for the Xbox 360. The latter of which allows users to control games via their voice or body movements, and has the potential to revolutionise video gaming going forward.
- The accessory market relies on the basics: controllers (bought by 64% of gamers) and memory (33%). However, consumers are still open to accessories that can provide better gaming experiences. Research found 29% of respondents thought it was worth paying a premium for accessories that improve technique, a further 25% thought it worth paying for equipment that makes you feel part of the game.
- The most enthusiastic accessory shoppers are 16-24-year-olds. For example, a third of this age group agree that they are constantly on the look out for new products, compared to 5% of over 45-year-olds. They are also the most disloyal when it comes to choice of store brand, being the most likely to shop at ten or more stores compared to other age groups, presenting a challenge to retailers.
- Two in ten internet users say they never buy accessories for their consoles. This underlines the overall importance of retailers’ console-bundling strategies, which have been a mainstay for retailers during the downturn. While offering value savings, they also have the potential to benefit shoppers by simplifying the buying process whilst ensuring gamers get the most out of their consoles.
- In terms of bricks-and-mortar accessory buying only, GAME is the most popular retailer, used by 50% of respondents - mainly because it is a console specialist with a large network of 683 stores. Amazon is the most popular online retailer. This is partly to do with the fact that it is one of the original e-commerce operators to launch in the UK, and has an established and trusted brand name.
- According to the research, 63% of respondents agree that accessories make good gifts. This is partly because the appeal of console gaming has broadened to the whole family, with consoles such as the Wii. Retailers offer a wide range of accessories to suit every budget – from basic peripherals to more expensive products such as gaming chairs, which are more likely to appeal to heavier gamers.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.