Weddings and Honeymoons Abroad - UK - October 2010
This report examines the market for weddings and honeymoons abroad, looking at trends and consumer attitudes, strengths and weaknesses, the domestic context, the broader market environment, innovations of interest and the future of the market.
- The popularity of weddings abroad continues to increase. Mintel estimates that, since 2005, the number of such ceremonies has risen by approximately 27%. Almost 18% of all weddings are now estimated to take place abroad.
- This rise has come as the number of weddings conducted in the UK has continued to fall – 270,000 took place in 2008 (the latest year for which official data is available), marking an 11.5% drop over the 10 years since 1998. Indeed, In England and Wales, 2008 saw the number of people getting married fall to its lowest point since 1895.
- Mintel’s exclusive consumer research reveals that three in ten people believe they may marry, remarry or renew their vows in future. One in five people expects to get married at some point. The likelihood of holding these opinions varies regionally - four in ten people living in Yorkshire/the North East /the North West believe they may marry/remarry/renew vows in future, with those from the South/Midlands/Wales at the national average of three in ten. And one in four people from Yorkshire/the North East expects to get married in future, as do three in ten from the North West – versus a national average of one in five.
- The percentage of consumers ‘in the market’ (those who may marry, remarry or renew their vows in future) that would like to honeymoon abroad has increased significantly in the last two years, reaching seven in ten – up from fewer than six in ten in 2008. Preferring a UK honeymoon – already a minority opinion in 2008 – is now even less likely, with approximately one in 33 now reporting this preference. And amongst the one in five consumers who expect to get married in future, almost four in five want to honeymoon abroad.
- Across the ten-year period 1998-2008, 25-29-year-olds have remained the most likely to get married. However the average age at first wedding has increased for both men and women – for example, the age band second-most likely to contain brides in 1998 was 20-24-year-olds. In 2003 it was 30-34-year-olds and in 2008 it had become 35-44-year-olds.
- In the last two years, the percentage of consumers agreeing that “The cost and time required in attending a wedding abroad puts relatives and friends in an awkward position” has fallen from approximately one in five to nearer one in seven.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.