Winter Holidays Abroad - UK - May 2015
“The ageing of the population and the growing importance of affluent Baby Boomers to the travel market are strong plus-factors for winter holidays abroad in the coming years. Holidays with a ‘soft wellness’ angle (ie ‘winter tonic’ breaks with the emphasis on general wellbeing and revitalisation), as well as more energetic products such as ‘Silver Skier’ breaks, and exotic winter cruises are likely to be key areas of growth.”
– John Worthington, Senior Analyst
This report covers the following areas:
- Who are the 'Winter Regulars' and what opportunities do they offer travel companies?
- What are the key marketing messages for winter holidays abroad?
- When is the best time to engage consumers with the idea of winter holidays abroad?
- What is the way forward for a struggling snowsports sector?
This report examines winter holidays abroad taken by UK adults. For the purposes of this report ‘winter holidays’ are defined as trips taken during the October-March half of the year, and ‘summer holidays’ are defined as those taken during the April-September months. Holidays must constitute at least one overnight stay.
An adult, for the purposes of Mintel’s research, is anyone aged 16 or over.
The standard travel and tourism definitions used in the terminology of this report are as follows:
- Tourism is any travel which involves at least one overnight stay away from home.
- A holiday is a subjectively defined form of tourism, as defined by the tourist in response to surveys such as the IPS. A holiday can be distinguished from other leisure travel such as visits to friends and relatives (VFR) or shopping trips.
- Short haul refers to destinations within Europe. The following destinations are considered to be short haul: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus EU, Cyprus Non-EU, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and Other Europe.
- Long haul refers to destinations outside of Europe.
- The Canaries are included as a part of the Spanish market, while Madeira and the Azores are included as part of the Portuguese market.
- A package holiday is defined as the simultaneous sale of at least two elements of a holiday to the traveller: fares on public transport (eg flights) and commercial accommodation (eg hotel or self-catering apartment). Other elements, such as meals or excursions, are not essential to the definition of an inclusive tour. The term ‘all-inclusive’ is used to describe a special type of resort holiday in which food, drink, excursions and other services are provided as part of the total holiday cost.
- An independent holiday is one in which the traveller organises and books transport and accommodation from separate sources (eg a Channel ferry crossing and a caravan site in France).
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.