Women's Attitudes Towards Hosiery and Shapewear - US - October 2011
Hosiery and shapewear are viewed differently by women. Hosiery has been around for decades and has formerly been considered a staple of women’s attire. However, as society has become more casual and fashion trends have changed, hosiery usage has declined and suffers from a perception that, not only is hosiery unnecessary, but they are unfashionable.
Meanwhile, modern shapewear is relatively new and enjoys increasing usage by women of all shapes and sizes across multiple demographics. Both categories are susceptible to changing style trends, and in the case of higher-priced shapewear, the perception of being expensive could be hampering sales at a time when the struggling economy is still very much a concern to budget-minded consumers.
Companies in the hosiery and shapewear markets must be able to develop products that meet the needs of today’s woman, with an eye toward the next big thing. With this in mind, Mintel answers a number of questions in this report including:
- What are the key market drivers and how are manufacturers addressing them to maximize sales opportunities?
- How are manufacturers responding to competition both within and outside the hosiery and shapewear categories?
- What are some of the more innovative products, and how effectively are they addressing what consumers are most interested in?
- What types of marketing strategies are companies employing, and how are they incorporating social media?
- Which hosiery and shapewear brands are most popular among women, and what are manufacturers doing to build on their popularity?
- What are women’s attitudes toward hosiery and shapewear, and how does this impact product development?
- What impact do demographic and socioeconomic factors such as age, race and household income have on purchasing activity and use?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.