Women's Fashion Lifestyles - UK - May 2010
- Despite the gloomy economic background during 2008-09 sales of womenswear have held up strongly as women continue to treat themselves to something new, even if they display a little more of a thrifty attitude to shopping. Womenswear shopping remains a popular pastime and a third of women enjoy shopping and browsing for clothes.
- Between 2005 and 2010, consumer spending on women’s outwear grew by 15% to an estimated £19 billion. As the economy recovers, womenswear sales are forecast to grow by 12.5% in the five years to 2015, reaching £21.4bn.
- Heightened price sensitivity because of the recession has reduced experimentation with brands. The recession has also led a third of women to become less impulsive in their clothes buying habits. Almost half (47%) of all women, and over half of 16-24-year-olds (54%), do most of their clothes shopping during sales, illustrating a desire to make savings.
- Major lifestage changes shape women’s attitudes to fashion and shopping. The freest spenders are Fledglings, aged 15-34, unmarried, no kids and living with their parents. This group is the most interested in styles and looking well dressed. But as they move out, things change. Flown the Nest are 15-34-yrs old, not married but do not live with relations. For this group, interest in the latest fashions wanes as the demands on their pocket increase due to establishing independent lives.
- Once women start a family dramatic changes in priorities take place. Families are less motivated by fashion and seek comfort, yet they want to appear well dressed. Only when children leave home, do mothers regain an interest in looking well dressed, although they are much less inclined to want up-to-the-minute fashion.
- Seven in ten women have internet access, so opportunities for web-based browsing and retailing are huge. The web will also be a key medium for consumer communications as women access the internet from home, on the move or at work.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.