Women's Sleepwear - US - December 2011
The women’s sleepwear market decreased by nearly 9% in 2011 as the market suffered from the many women who tend to hold on to their existing sleepwear for many years and only purchase when replenishment is absolutely necessary and when sleepwear items are on sale. Furthermore, coming out of recessionary times, consumers are less likely to spend their discretionary income on non-essential items and sleepwear falls into this category.
The number of women in the U.S. is expected to increase by just under 5% from 2010- 2015, which is going to create little additional demand for sleepwear over the next five years. Additionally, there is a fine line between many types of sleepwear items and loungewear items. Many American women wear certain items for multiple purposes – both for sleeping and other activities they engage in both inside and outside of their homes. This is further exacerbated by the notion of life in general becoming more casual – more workplaces don’t require formal attire and many who are employed work from home frequently, thus eliminating the need to be dressed in business attire and an inclination to wear sleepwear and loungewear during the day. This report closely examines a variety of factors impacting the women’s sleepwear market.
Some of the key issues covered in this report include:
- How the increasing female population will drive demand and sales for this category
- Changes in consumer confidence and its link to women’s sleepwear purchases
- How women’s lifestage impacts the type of sleepwear they desire
- How the rise of telecommuting may impact the women’s sleepwear market
- Innovations in women’s sleepwear including functional sleepwear to treat various conditions and alleviate ailments
- Social media efforts and other marketing activity among sleepwear manufacturers and retailers
- The most common type and fabric of sleepwear worn by women
- The amount spent on women’s sleepwear
- Reasons for purchasing women’s sleepwear
- Retailers shopped for women’s sleepwear
- Attitudes toward women’s sleepwear and attitudes toward shopping for women’s sleepwear
- The relationship between sleepwear and quality of sleep
- How race and Hispanic origin impact shopping behavior and attitudes toward women's sleepwear
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.