Word of Mouth and Viral Marketing - US - April 2009
Consumers are inundated with advertising every day, and as a result, conventional forms of advertising have lost some of their influence. Simply put, the high number of ads seen by most people on a daily basis, combined with a suspicion of advertising and big business, has created the need for marketers to recruit consumers themselves to educate others in their social networks about products and brands. This process, known as “word of mouth” (WOM) or “viral marketing” is becoming more important to manufacturers, retailers and, of course, advertising agencies.
Specifically, the report addresses the following questions:
- How much influence does word of mouth have on decisions about what products and brands to purchase?
- Which segments are most likely to be influenced by WOM?
- Which consumer segments have the highest concentration of “Influentials” who disseminate product and brands WOM?
- What are the psychological attributes of people who enjoy participating in WOM campaigns by telling others about products and services?
- What techniques are most likely to drive positive WOM?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.