World Cuisines - UK - January 2014
“Some ethnic food brands may benefit from positioning their products specifically as child- or family-friendly. Cooking pastes, for instance, could more actively promote how they are a suitable option for the whole family, allowing for heat levels tailored to taste.”
– Heidi Lanschützer, Food & Drink Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Is there further scope for reduced-fat options of world foods?
- How can operators harness the strong interest in ethnic desserts?
- Is there greater scope for a family-friendly positioning for world food brands?
- How can ethnic sauces capitalise on consumer concerns about food waste?
The world cuisines market has posted strong growth in recent years, with retail value sales having grown by 32% over 2008-13. The market has benefited from a greater availability of a wider variety of ethnic cuisines in the retail channel (following foodservice trends), an increasingly diverse ethnic population in the UK, growth in international travel as well as Brits’ enthusiasm for trying novel foods – some 70% of consumers say they are interested in trying ethnic dishes they haven’t tried before.
However, growth slowed considerably in 2013, likely stemming from an improving consumer confidence encouraging people to eat our more often. The popularity of scratch cooking also poses strong competition to the market, particularly ethnic ready meals and cooking sauces.
For the purpose of this report, world foods are defined as beyond European and North American foods, and cover the following types of cuisines:
- Chinese food – includes Peking, Cantonese and other Chinese variations.
- Indian food.
- Mexican and Tex-Mex food – this broader definition covers a variety of Mexican, Native American and Texan influences while the entire category also has some historical Spanish influences.
- Thai and other Oriental cuisines – including a variety of Thai products referred to as ‘Thai’, but excluding rice and noodles. Also includes any products that include Japanese in their name. Also foods known to be from Japan, such as teriyaki sauce, sushi, wasabi, rice crackers and pickled ginger.
- Other ethnic cuisines covered in the report include – Korean, Vietnamese, Malaysian, African, Middle Eastern and South American.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.