The Yellow Fat and Edible Oil Market - UK - September 2012
- How can health and wellbeing spreads improve consumer perceptions?
- How can brands explore ease of use for standout?
- Is there potential for brands to build engagement online?
- What attributes can yellow fat brands highlight to target under-25s more effectively?
Estimated to reach £1.79 billion in 2012, the yellow fats and edible oils market has grown by 45% since 2007, driven almost entirely by retail price inflation since volumes have declined by 4% over the 2007-12 period. Usage levels have stalled in butter and fallen in spreads and edible oils, reflecting consumers’ cost and health concerns. Up to 2011, health and wellbeing spreads struggled to win over consumers for whom the number one priority is taste. However, several new ‘lighter’ products launched in 2012 are looking to challenge consumers’ perceptions in this regard and aim to rebuild volume sales with the support of significant above-the-line investment by the leading brands.
What's included in the Yellow Fat and Edible Oil Market Report?
This report covers the UK retail market for edible oils and yellow fats.
- Yellow fats include butter, margarine and spreads.
- Health & Wellbeing Spreads refers to spreads described as having a health benefit eg cholesterol reducing, low/reduced fat, low/reduced calorie, light, soya, reduced/low/no salt etc.
- Cooking & Baking Spreads refer to margarine or white fat intended for cooking or baking, which is generally wrapped or in packet format, or in a plastic tub. Excludes butter.
- For the purposes of this report, spreadable butter (including variants with vegetable oil) and ‘light’ butter are included as butter in the market segmentation
- Edible oils include vegetable or rapeseed oil and single-seed oils such as sunflower and corn, plus olive (including extra virgin) along with groundnut, walnut, sesame and other varieties of speciality oil, for use in domestic food preparation. The market for spray oils (including aerosols) is also included.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.