Yogurt and Desserts - Europe - December 2011
Sales of yogurt and chilled desserts have been adversely affected by Europe’s economic uncertainty, with consumer spending habits increasingly dictated by price. Thanks to its larger population size and high take-up of yogurt, Germany is the leading market in terms of volume, but the UK takes the top position in the value sales of desserts.
Recent new product activity has concentrated on additive- and preservative-free products, as well as low-fat varieties, reflecting the general health and naturalness trend that is shaping product innovation across food markets.
Yogurts and desserts enjoy wide appeal among consumers from various socio-demographic backgrounds, with the French the keenest on the products. The core consumer base is formed of women, under-45s, high earners, the working population, families with children and 3+ households.
Some key findings from the report include:
- Sales of yogurt and desserts have been adversely affected by the unfavourable economic setting, with the latter being particularly lacklustre.
- Germany is the number-one European market for both yogurt and desserts in terms of volume, but the UK takes the number-one position in the value sales of desserts.
- Growing consumer concerns regarding the use of artificial ingredients in food has placed the focus of product innovation on additive- and preservative-free products and low/no/reduced fat options.
- Yogurt and desserts enjoy generally high penetration rates, with French consumers the keenest on desserts at 86%, and sharing the pole position with the Germans for yogurt at 93%.
- Product use is biased towards women, under-45s, top earners, the working population and 3+ households with children.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.