Yogurt and Yogurt Drinks - US - August 2013
“Price and health are two areas providing major opportunities for marketers. The rise of Greek yogurt has defined the industry during the past several years. Consumers have been more than willing to pay a premium for Greek yogurt, although there are early signs that they are beginning to seek more value.”
– John N. Frank, Category Manager, Food & Drink
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How can Greek yogurts continue to drive sales as the market matures?
- How can marketers better attract parents and kids?
- How can the supermarket channel compete with Walmart’s growing influence?
Yogurt and yogurt drinks represent a $7.4 billion market with sales that have increased for several consecutive years, including throughout the recession. This report provides an in-depth look at sales trends, product segmentation, marketing strategies, and consumer attitudes and behaviors.
A sampling of questions raised and answered includes:
- Greek yogurt sales continue to drive the market. Are consumers worn out, or why and how will the Greek trend power on?
- New entrants such as Chobani have altered the market significantly. How have the traditionally major players responded?
- Supermarkets have steadily lost market share to supercenters such as Walmart as a distribution channel. What might they do to reverse the trend?
- Women, parents, and more affluent consumers are the key demographic of yogurt buyers. Why are they buying and where else does opportunity lie?
- Yogurt’s position as a healthy alternative has helped to drive sales as consumers become more health aware. How can brands continue to take advantage of this new attitude?
- Hispanics are one of the fastest-growing populations and they happen to over index to many yogurt segments. What are their attitudes and behaviors regarding yogurt, and how might marketers reach them more effectively?
For the purposes of this report, Mintel divides the yogurt market into the following segments:
- Spoonable Yogurts: Yogurt that is sold in cups or tubes, and products meant to be spooned, squeezed, or “slurped.” Greek-style yogurt is included.
- Yogurt Drinks: Refrigerated yogurt products in a liquid, drinkable form. These products may include fruit or fruit flavoring; includes yogurt “smoothies.”
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.