Action and Extreme Sports - US - March 2011
While definitions of extreme and action sports vary, based on the definitions for this report, in the U.S. about 118 million people aged 6 and older participated in one or more action and extreme sports at least once in 2009. Retail sales of action and extreme sports equipment and accessories covered in this report increased 8.8% in 2010, reaching $2.4 billion, according to an analysis of data from SnowSports Industries America RetailTRAK by the Leisure Trends Group. Snow sports accounted for about half of retail sales; specialty retailers account for the majority of action and extreme sports equipment and accessory sales.
Action and extreme sports participants are more likely to be male and young (aged 6-24), and to live in higher income households. They also are more likely to have unusual personality characteristics: they consider themselves unconventional, enjoy traveling the unbeaten path, and like to take risks.
Analysis and insights offered in this report include:
- Sales of equipment and accessories
- Participation rates by sport
- An exploration of how leading manufacturers are marketing and advertising their products and reaching their core target markets. The report covers the role of traditional advertising methods, star athletes, corporate sponsors, the web and social media
- Sales by channel for equipment and accessories for major sports, and stores shopped by extreme sports participants
- The extent to which individual extreme sports participants seem to be engaged across a range of sports/activities
- The extent of participation by adults, teens and kids, exploring demographics that represent the core market
- Spend on equipment, attitudes to buying and buying behavior, and key influencers
- In-depth coverage of action and extreme sports participants’ preferences, attitudes and habits
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.