Airport Catering - UK - February 2010
- Retailers continue to represent the main competition to airport caterers:. Seven million consumers have purchased food and/or drink from a retailer, such as newsagent, convenience store or M&S Food, at an airport in the last 12 months.
- People believe that food at airports is too expensive and of low quality. Despite prices being contractual, controlled and linked to the high street, nearly 15 million people see airport food as being too expensive and 9 million argue that the quality isn’t very good.
- Some 9 million consumers only buy food at an airport to refuel.
- Although many consumers, particularly low-cost airline passengers, may be anxious to get to the front of the boarding queue, the majority of passengers do have time to buy food & drink at airports. Only 3.5 million people say that time constraints stop them from spending on food & drink at airports, suggesting stress rather than time constraints limits their purchases.
- Seven million consumers dislike the food served on planes, representing an obvious target market for airport caterers. Appealing to these consumers should involve visual prompts, such as packed lunch-type products and a focus on carry-on packaging concepts.
- As air travel has become more and more commonplace, so the notion of a holiday starting once the holidaymaker has reached the airport has decreased over time. Only one in ten consumers feel they have already started their holiday at the airport.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.