Alcohol Consumption at Home - US - July 2012
With total U.S. sales of nearly $86.3 billion in 2011, the market for alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption has recorded relatively steady growth during the past five years, increasing 5.1% in 2011 compared to 2010’s $82 billion, a 3.2% increase from 2009.
In addition, the market for cocktail mixes recorded sales of $491 million in 2011, down 0.8% from 2010. With expectations that home cocktail parties will continue to be a popular off-premise alcohol consumption occasion, Mintel forecasts this market will increase to $495 million in 2012, the level of sales it recorded in 2010.
In this report, Mintel presents sales trends of the off-premise alcoholic beverage market as well as by type of alcohol to provide context for trends in alcohol consumption at home. The heart of the report is Mintel’s exclusive consumer research and analysis including:
- Comparisons of alcohol consumption at home versus consumption away from home
- Exploration of alcohol consumption at home by type of drink and frequency of consumption
- Shifts in alcohol consumption at home, as well as occasion-based motivators for use and other factors that influence purchase (i.e. health)
- Key issues, such as obesity and health concerns, that are changing consumer alcohol consumption habits and how the industry can respond
- Whether on-premise efforts to attract consumers to drink away from home are proving effective and how off-premise marketers can counter such efforts with promotions centered on at-home occasions for alcohol consumption
- The slow economy’s impact on consumers, and, in turn, alcohol use and market sales
- A look at innovation in alcoholic beverages by number of new products for each type of alcohol, as well as identifying trends among the most widely used claims as they differentiate by type of alcohol
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.