Alcoholic Drinks Labelling - UK - March 2010
The report focuses on the role that labelling plays in enhancing product packaging in terms of on-shelf appeal and providing product information.
- Only a third of drinkers find labelling easy to understand, suggesting that current health labelling requires refinement or else needs to take a new direction in order to have any real impact on drinking habits.
- The greatest interest in alcohol content is coming from 35-44-year-old professionals and affluent third agers. By contrast, less educated or affluent and older C2 drinkers are most likely to be confused or ignore advice altogether.
- The potential impact of changes to alcoholic drinks labelling legislation should not be underestimated: research from the UK government has forecast a 40% drop in on-trade sales should consumers begin drinking responsibly.
- Bolstered by celebrity chef campaigns backing local sourcing and animal welfare, consumers are showing greater interest in the provenance of food and drink. Manufacturers have responded with increasing emphasis on the national or regional character of products – including alcoholic drinks – often as a means of tapping into demand for greater ‘authenticity’.
- Recession and an on-trade downturn have failed to quell innovation in alcoholic drinks labelling, with a continued trend towards premium launches notable over the last few years.
- Overall, while around a third of drinkers would be likely to ignore calorie content labelling completely, the majority of drinkers appear to be receptive to the idea.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.