America's Pet Owners - US - August 2016
"In 2016 the market for pet products and services is an estimated $67.5 billion, an increase of 4.3% over the previous year. A majority of households own at least one pet (59%) and as the economy improves, households are more likely to take on the expense and commitment of pet ownership (there has been positive growth in ownership since 2008). The trend of humanizing pets continues to shape the market, creating interest for new products such as pet fitness trackers, video monitors, and specialty food (and drinks). Pet owners demonstrate a desire for offerings that help keep their pet healthy, but also happy, as 87% think of their pet not just as an animal, but a member of the family."
-Senior Lifestyles and Leisure Analyst
This report covers the following areas:
- Pet owners struggle to balance spoiling and disciplining their pets
- Owners believe emotional health is important, but struggle to understand pet’s needs
- Cat owners less willing to spend on products and services
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Pet owners: adults aged 18+ who own a cat or dog, but may also own other animals
- Non-pet owners: adults aged 18+ who don’t own any animals
- Cat owners: adults aged 18+ who own at least one cat, but may also own other animals
- Dog owners: adults aged 18+ who own at least one dog, but may also own other animals
The segments for the estimated market size include the following:
- Pet food: Dry, semi-moist, wet, refrigerated/frozen dog and cat food; cat snacks; dog biscuits and treats; food for pets other than dogs and cats.
- Pet supplies: Litter, deodorant, litter bags; rawhide dog chews; leashes, collars; scratching posts; toys; cages, habitats; animal bedding; aquatic supplies; shampoos; vitamins and OTC (over-the-counter) medications; etc.
- Veterinary services: Routine exams; surgical and non-surgical treatments; lab services, etc. Includes only services provided by veterinarians who predominantly or exclusively treat companion animals.
- Pet services: Grooming; boarding; training; etc. Includes pet-service revenues at veterinary offices and pet stores in addition to businesses primarily offering pet services. Service estimates are based on retail sales only and do not include private transactions, such as freelance dog walkers or pet sitters.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.