Attitudes toward Private Label - China - March 2016
“Private label has a minor presence in China. Overall, the share of private label innovation stayed flat at 3-4% between 2011 and 2014, while in some European countries this figure is a lot more significant. For example, Spain (40.5%), the UK (31.4%), France (30.9%) and Germany (27.2%) all saw private label have a strong share of NPD activities during 2015."
– Esther Lau, Research Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- The balance between premium and good value for money
- International supermarkets should expand imported private label range made with environmental-friendly elements
- Upgrading convenience food solutions holds the key for growth
- Scope to harness the health and baby-oriented connotation of private label beauty and personal care products
Branded products still have a clear advantage over private label in consumers’ perception. The top three attributes associated with private label are good value for money, practical and easy to use. In contrast, shoppers relate quality guaranteed, premium and safe with branded products.
Looking ahead, Chinese shoppers express their wish to see both value/economy private label ranges with lower prices, and premium tiers with enhanced functions for greater quality assurance. Private label providers need to make extra effort to focus on quality in addition to affordability in order to clearly differentiate themselves from branded competitors.
This report focuses on consumer usage and purchasing of products produced by retailers for exclusive sale by them, such as supermarkets, department stores, premium supermarkets, grocery multiples, direct selling outlets and specialist beauty retailers.
- Manufacturer brands: products which are available in grocery stores. Examples include Heinz, L’ Oréal, Nestlé, Procter & Gamble.
- Private label: products which are controlled and managed by retailers, carrying either the retailer’s name or exclusively created name. Examples included Walmart (Great Value), CR Vanguard (Run Zhi Jia), Lianhua Supermarket (Lianhua Better Living). This group also includes tertiary/venture brands which are exclusively made for a retailer, such as Watsons’ Natural Balance Rose Moisture Smoothing)
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.