Attitudes Toward Sodium and High Fructose Corn Syrup Reduction - US - August 2010
Recent research indicates that the majority of American adults are watching their diet. The health and wellness trend is driven by a variety of factors including an aging population and analysis suggests that as the economy improves, Americans are likely to gravitate more toward better-for-you (BFY) options such as those low in sodium and calories.
At the same time, manufacturers and restaurant chains are looking for ways to develop premium products that have high appeal among affluents and are positioned to command price premiums. For this reason— and because the government is taking steps to reduce obesity and improve nutrition— consumer attitudes toward high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and sodium are becoming increasingly important to product developers, marketers and consumer packaged goods (CPG) executives. As such, Mintel has developed this report to address the following questions:
- What health risks are associated with sodium and HFCS?
- What government initiatives have been created to address these concerns and regulate consumption of sodium and HFCS?
- How are demographic and economic trends impacting demand for low sodium foods and beverages, as well as those that are free of HFCS?
- What types of low sodium and HFCS-free products have been introduced in recent years?
- Are companies increasingly launching low sodium and HFCS-free products, or are the number of new launches in these sub-categories on the decline?
- How much do American consumers regulate and limit their intake of sodium and HFCS compared to calories, sugar, fat content, preservatives, caffeine and carbohydrates?
- How often do consumers use salt alternatives and low sodium products and how much interest is there for using more such products in the future?
- What proportion of the population avoids HFCS and what segments are most likely to engage in avoidance behavior?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.