Attitudes Toward Sodium - US - February 2012
It’s no secret that demand for better-for-you (BFY) snacks, prepared foods and beverages is on the rise. Companies around the globe are reformulating old products and bringing new ones to market to satisfy changing consumer preferences. While low and reduced-calorie products are at the forefront of this shift, concerns about excessive sodium intake have been growing in the U.S. and this is driving CPG firms, as well as restaurant chains, to bring more low sodium products to market. Moreover, a variety of factors indicate that demand for low sodium foods will continue to grow in 2012 and beyond.
In order to help companies come to a clearer understanding of sodium-related trends and how to capitalize on them, Mintel has produced this report that addresses the following questions:
- How are macro-level demographic shifts in the U.S. impacting demand for reduced sodium foods and how are they likely to influence the market in the years to come?
- What are companies doing to address growing concern about sodium intake and capitalize on demand for reduced sodium options?
- What type of reduced sodium packaged foods did companies bring to market in 2010 and 2011?
- Compared to the influence of calorie counts, sugar and fat content, how much do sodium levels influence consumer decision-making?
- To what degree do consumers consult the Nutrition Facts Panel and ingredient lists to determine whether the foods they are thinking about buying have too much sodium?
- To what degree are Americans working to limit sodium intake when dining at home and at restaurants?
- To what degree do concerns about taste influence perceptions of low sodium products?
- Which segments of the population are most likely to use reduced sodium products?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.