Attitudes towards Retail Home Delivery and Collection Services - UK - October 2016
“With online volumes continuing to rise, order fulfilment, be it delivery or collection, is becoming an increasingly important aspect of a retailer’s offering and one that consumers will increasingly base purchasing decisions on. It is not necessarily about the speed of a service, it is about offering the customer options to suit each individual purchase and need.”
– Nick Carroll, Senior Retail Analyst
This report discusses the following topics:
- Delivery passes: Worth the cost of entry?
- Drones: The next frontier for retail logistics?
- Gearing delivery options to ease pressure on logistics
With increasing volumes online comes increasing wants, demands and needs from consumers and therefore retailers must have a broad set of delivery options at their disposal. The choice between the two also should not be binary for the consumer and retailer delivery options must be flexible both at the time of ordering and during the last-leg delivery process. Re-routing of orders in -transit has begun to be seen in the market and this is likely to be the future of order fulfilment, for example agile last-mile logistics which can react to consumers’ own situation. The biggest players in the online space are already investing heavily in their last-leg fulfilment logistics, and increasingly bringing them in-house, to be more flexible in the services they can provide to their customers.
This Report is a consumer research focused Report although some market data, including market size estimates for the collection market, is included to give context to the consumer research. The primary focus of the consumer research is on the use and attitudes towards order fulfilment from online orders although other delivery dependent retail channels, such as traditional direct selling, and services, such as store-based deliveries, are touched upon.
Throughout the Report we talk in general terms about collection and delivery. For the purpose of this Report they are defined as such:
Delivery is defined as an order that is delivered to a customer’s home, work, place of education or any other location that they have used as a traditional postal address.
Collection is used as broad term to describe the numerous collection services offered in the UK retail sector. Broadly speaking collection orders can fall into one of three fulfilment methods:
- Click-and-collect in-store: This is where payment is taken online and the order is made available for collection at a retailer’s own store.
- Reserve-and-collect in-store: This is where no payment is taken at the point of purchase, rather the items are reserved to be collected and paid for in a retailer’s own store.
- Click-and-collect at third-party locations: This is where, usually, payment is taken online and then products are made available to collect at a location that is not the retailer’s store. Examples of third-party collection services include collection services such as Collect+, where products are made available at other participating stores, dedicated collection outlets such as Doddle and either retailer brand or third-party locker services where products are delivered to and held in lockers for collection.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.