Baking and Dessert Mixes - US - August 2014
“The US baking and dessert mixes category experienced flat sales in 2013 and 2014 at $2.7 billion. Sales are forecast to remain flat in 2015 and decline to $2.5 billion by 2019. Concerns about the health impact of eating too many baked goods are negatively impacting sales. Additionally, recovering consumer confidence means more people will spend on dining out rather than cooking and baking at home. When marketing to families brands must focus on providing more products using premium, natural, and BFY (better-for-you) ingredients. Emphasizing premium ingredients will also appeal to the 44% of respondents who say they buy mixes because they taste good.”
- Amy Kraushaar, US Category Manager, Food & Drink
This report answers the following questions:
- What consumer groups are most likely to use baking/dessert mixes?
- Can mix brands overcome perceptions of unhealthiness?
- How can mix brands compete with RTE, packaged brands?
- The competitive threat represented by packaged baked good/dessert brands and baking from scratch
- Why pancake and other mixes manage growth as all other segments decline
- Company and brand analysis and why the three leading companies are all declining
- Analysis of consumer behaviors and attitudes toward baking/dessert mixes, including usage compared to a year ago, reasons for using/buying, important purchase factors, and reasons for not using baking/dessert mixes.
- Cake/pie mixes
- Pudding/gelatin mixes
- Brownie mixes
- Bread/muffin mixes
- Pancake mixes
- Prepared pie crusts
- Other mixes
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.