Barbecue Foods - UK - November 2010
Two in three adults ate food cooked on the barbecue in summer 2010, with some 120 million barbecue occasions fuelling estimated sales of barbecue foods of some £1.7 billion in 2010. The market has posted healthy growth in recent years, helped by better weather, still a key driver of barbecue occasions, since the washout summer of 2007. The trend for staying in and entertaining at home instead of going out in the recession has also been a key factor supporting growth in recent years, with a positive impact from the World Cup in 2010.
- Further opportunities remain to develop premium-end barbecue foods, to appeal to some 12 million adults who disagree with the view that expensive ingredients have no place on the barbecue.
- Barbecue foods positioned as quick and easy, perhaps including pre-cooked options, have potential to win over some of the seven million adults who see barbecuing as time-consuming.
- Barbecue dishes positioned as healthy or light stand to appeal to some seven million people who see barbecue foods as often unhealthy, including young families.
- Solutions making the barbecuing ‘project’ more convenient, including both in food and in associated products, could tap into a pool of over nine million consumers who see barbecuing as a hassle.
- Cross-promoting meat thermometers with barbecue food could encourage higher usage among the four million people who are put off by not knowing if barbecue food is properly cooked.
- Promoting cooking on the barbecue as a cooking method on its own right could benefit the sector by supporting more frequent usage, as currently only one in five people who eat barbecue food often use the barbecue to just cook for the family.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.