The Soap, Bath and Shower Market - China - September 2012
‘Naturalness’ continues to be a key trend in China, with the SBS products market being no exception to this, and there are still many opportunities for growth in this area. Naturalness is perceived as being safer, healthier and more premium, and the Chinese government’s involvement in legislation and regulation has helped to strengthen the safety credentials of SBS products and indirectly has increased the demand for naturalness in SBS products.
Continued growth in income has meant that consumers are increasingly willing and able to trade up to buying higher value and better quality products. That said, premiumisation is somewhat lacking in the SBS market in China, and represents an opportunity for growth. In order to build on the ‘bath and shower care’ concept, brands will need to focus on extending bath and shower product benefits, collaborate with bath spas in China and invest in premium or specialty stores in order to strengthen their brand and premium credentials.
Consumers are increasingly attaching emotions to their bath or shower sessions, with many treating baths and showers as a pampering and relaxing indulgence; aspects such as aromatherapy, fragrance and gifting that connect with these extended lifestyle ideals, are therefore worth exploring in order to connect better with consumers’ lifestyle needs.”
– Eileen Ngieng – Senior Research Analyst
Some questions answered in the 'Soap Bath and Shower Market - China' report include:
- What are the kind of skin conditions associated with Chinese consumers and how can a skin needs positioning help to increase soap, bath and shower usage and awareness?
- What is the Chinese government’s involvement in the regulation of soap, bath and shower products and how are manufacturers meeting increasing demand for naturalness?
- What kind of premiumisation strategies can be used to stimulate growth in the developing China soap, bath and shower market?
- What kind of lifestyle ideals do brands need to associate with in order further develop the market?
Soap, bath and shower (SBS) products cover solid and liquid soap, bath and shower products for men, women, unisex and children. This includes baby, family, deodorant, intimate, medicated soaps, bacterial/sanitisers, syndet (synthetic detergents/surfactants) soap bars and balls, syndet soap liquids and gels. In addition, this includes foams, oils, gels, milks, pearls, salts, melts, tablets and powders that are added to bath water, and also includes gels, creams, body wash, scrubs, shampoos and mousses. The scope of this report excludes facial cleansers, scrubs and talcum powder.
- Shower: (gels/creams, body washes, mousse)
- Soap bars: bar/ball, baby, family, deodorant, intimate, medicated, bacterial/sanitisers, syndet
- Bath: foam, liquids – oils, gels, milks, pearls, solids – salts, melts, fizzy tablets, powder
- Liquid/gel: baby, family, deodorant, intimate, medicated, bacterial/sanitisers but excluding body soap
- Heavy users: Including those who use ‘More than once a day’ and ‘Once a day’
- Medium users: Including those who use ‘3-5 times a week’ and ‘Once or twice a week’
- Light users: Including those who use ‘2-3 times a month’, ‘Once a month’ and ‘Less often’
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.