Beauty Retailing - China - March 2015
The beauty retailing market continued its strong growth to reach RMB182.5 million in 2014.
Technological advancements such as mobile shopping, mobile applications, tablet computers and increased internet penetration have boosted the popularity of online beauty retailing while the expansion of giant stores such as Watsons and Sephora into lower tier cities has contributed to make the market grow steadily.
Meanwhile, the market is becoming increasingly competitive. Traditional bricks-and-mortar stores are facing severe challenges as more and more consumers are moving online.
To counter that, many bricks-and-mortar stores have opened their online websites. In addition, they are using the online-to-offline model and attracting users online and directing them to offline physical stores.
Products covered in this report
- Feminine care products (eg sanitary towel, tampon, hair remover)
- Haircare (eg shampoo, conditioner, hair treatments)
- Facial skincare (eg facial cleaner, facial cream, mask)
- Men’s shaving products (eg razor, shaving foam, aftershave)
- Oral care products (eg toothpaste, teeth whitening products, mouthwash)
- Shower and bath products (eg soap, shower gel, bath salt)
- Hair beauty products (eg hair styling products, colourants)
- Body skincare (eg body lotion, body oil)
- Colour cosmetics (eg foundation, lipsticks, nail polish)
- Beauty accessories (eg fake eyelash, eyebrow razor, fake nail)
- Beauty supplements (eg oral collagen, whitening pills)
Retail outlets covered in this report
- Convenience stores (eg FamilyMart, 7-Eleven)
- Health and beauty chain retailers (eg Watsons, Mannings)
- Independent beauty stores (eg privately owned colour cosmetics store, girls’ stores)
- Department stores
- Shopping malls
- Multi-brand beauty product chain stores (eg Sephora, Sasa, Gialen)
- Single-brand specialty stores (eg Herborist, Kiehl’s, L'Occitane en Provence)
- Comprehensive online shopping website (eg Yihaodian, jd.com), excluding Taobao/Tmall
- Specialised beauty product specialty online shopping websites (jumei.com, lefeng.com)
- Fashion and beauty products shopping websites (mogujie.com, meilishuo.com)
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.