Beauty Retailing - China - March 2016
“In China, where national expansion of physical stores is diminishing, mobile is becoming the battlefield for beauty retailers. There is an enormous amount of mobile-centric innovation intensifying competition for consumers' wallets and the O2O movement will continue to boom in order to provide an omni-channel experience.
The rise of cross-border e-commerce will threaten sales of domestic bricks-and-mortar focused retailers. Using mobile-centric technology will help to lessen this trend by creating instant gratification in-store.”
– Wenwen Chen, Senior Beauty and Personal care Analyst
This report examines the following areas:
- Locating the best resources for facial skincare
- Creating an irreplaceable in-store experience
- Innovative mobile payment
Although China’s cooling economy has undermined consumers’ confidence in general, the beauty market seems immune to a market slowdown. Mintel has found that the consumer passion for better facial skincare products is the key driver.
Looking ahead, growth will remain slow, and is likely to be driven by product premiumisation, rather than an increase in volume sales. Mobile-centric innovations will also encourage shoppers to make quick buying decisions.
Beauty products included in this report:
- Haircare (eg shampoo, conditioner, hair treatments)
- Facial skincare (eg facial cleaner, facial cream, mask)
- Feminine care products (eg sanitary towel, tampon, hair remover)
- Shower and bath products (eg soap, shower gel, bath salt)
- Oral care (eg toothpaste, teeth whitening products, mouth wash)
- Men’s shaving products (eg shaver, shaving foam, aftershave)
- Body skincare (eg body lotion, body oil)
- Colour cosmetics (eg foundation, lipsticks, nail polish)
- Hair beauty products (eg hair styling products, colourants)
- Fine fragrance/body spray
- Beauty tools (eg fake eyelash, eyebrow razor, fake nail)
- Beauty supplements (eg oral collagen, whitening pills)
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.