Beauty Retailing - UK - January 2011
Beauty retailing is an innovative and dynamic market. But its structure is very different to a number of large non-food categories such as clothing, electricals and DIY where specialist retailers dominate. In beauty retailing non-specialists play a particularly important role too.
- A third of all adults did not change their shopping habits for beauty products in 2010, but a picture emerges of a more cautious and less loyal shopper - one in four spent less in this category last year, one in five shopped around more to compare prices and fewer shoppers stuck to trusted retailers than they had the year before.
- The family shopper was still constrained but some in the pre/no family demographic increased their spending and treating which chimes with the recovery in sales at the higher end of the market.
- In seeking out greater value, more consumers opted for deals and special offers (around 7 million have bought alot more special offers) than own brands or trading down to cheaper stores.
- Boots is the most popular retailer of beauty products in the UK, according to our research it has gained more than 2 million net new customers in the last year and its Advantage loyalty card is a key sales driver.
- Nevertheless a third of all adults are still prepared to pay extra for good quality fragrances more than those for skincare (23%) or cosmetics (21%).
- One in five adults shop from different retailers depending on which type of beauty/grooming products they are looking for, there must be an opportunity here for retailers to incentivise customers to shop in the one place.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.