Behavioral Finance - US - March 2011
In 2006, Mintel published a report about Behavioral Finance and described how financial decisions and behaviors are not always rational. Rather, cognitive biases and emotional distortions often influence consumer financial decisions. Since that time, the world has experienced a massive global financial crisis, from which we are still struggling to emerge. With all the knowledge about economics and behavior, it comes as a surprise that we are not able to avoid repeating the same mistakes that lead us to create financial bubbles that eventually burst and result in a financial collapse.
This report updates the 2006 Mintel report in light of changing economic conditions, and presents new insights that have emerged from the growing field of behavioral economics, as well as new ways in which these insights have been applied to marketing financial products and services, as well as strategic decisions that are made within the industry.
Some of the practical implications for the financial services industry which are discussed in this report include:
- How people choose among the myriad array of options for insurance coverage
- Why they gravitate toward particular savings vehicles
- How consumers choose to finance spending for big-ticket items, as well as everyday expenses
- What types of information consumers are most likely to pay attention to, and what types of messages are likely to have the greatest impact on financial decisions
- How marketers and financial executives are impacted by the same cognitive biases as their customers, which can potentially influence everything from risk management to product development
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.