Biscuits, Cookies and Crackers - UK - April 2011
Sweet biscuits include:
- Sweet and semi-sweet biscuits defined as those which are not individually wrapped, such as shortbread, digestives, Rich Tea, wafers and cookies.
- Biscuits with added ingredients such as chocolate, cream or jam fillings. Half-coated chocolate biscuits and cookies are also included eg Chocolate Digestive and Jaffa Cakes.
- Chocolate biscuit countlines (CBCLs): individually wrapped chocolate-covered biscuits, such as Penguin, Club, Breakaway, Trio and Classic. Also included within the scope of this report are chocolate confectionery countlines, such as two-finger KitKats which are marketed and packaged both as confectionery and biscuits.
- Children’s biscuits eg Jammie Dodgers.
- Seasonal biscuit selections.
Non-sweet biscuits include:
- Crackers and crispbreads: includes savoury cracker biscuits, crispbreads, toasts, crisp rolls, rice cakes, matzos, eg Cream Crackers, Water Biscuits, Jacob’s Olive Oil & Oregano Crackers, as well as snack-style products sold in the savoury biscuit aisle of the supermarket eg Snack a Jacks, Ryvita Minis.
- Savoury biscuits: including cheese-flavoured biscuits, thins, oatcakes, flavoured biscuits (not crackers), cheese straws, breadsticks, eg TUC, Ritz, Cheddars, Sesame Seed Biscuits.
- Mini savoury snack biscuits: including mini bite-sized baked snacks, based on existing savoury biscuits, which tend to be merchandised in the savoury biscuit aisle in the multiple grocers, for example, Mini TUC.
Excluded from this report are:
- Countlines not marketed as biscuits are excluded from this report (eg Mars Bars, Snickers).
- Cereal bars, rice cakes and breakfast snack bars are excluded, however, cereal bars which are positioned in the biscuit fixture as opposed to breakfast bars are referred to wherever relevant as some biscuit manufacturers consider them to be part of the market.
- Savoury snacks, such as Quavers and Doritos, which are fried or extruded, and not baked as biscuits.
- Savoury biscuits that are sold within the crisps and snacks aisle, despite being oven-baked, are also excluded, for example Pretzels, Party Snacks, Twiglets and Mini Cheddars.
Cracker and cheese or meat products that are packaged together, and sold in the chiller cabinet, are also excluded, for example Kraft Lunchables.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.