Sweet biscuits include:
- Sweet and semi-sweet biscuits defined as those which are not individually wrapped, such as shortbread, digestives, Rich Tea, wafers and cookies.
- Biscuits with added ingredients such as chocolate, cream or jam fillings. Half-coated chocolate biscuits and cookies are also included eg Chocolate Digestive and Jaffa Cakes.
- Chocolate biscuit countlines (CBCLs): individually wrapped chocolate-covered biscuits, such as Penguin, Club, Breakaway, Trio and Classic. Also included within the scope of this report are chocolate confectionery countlines, such as two-finger KitKats which are marketed and packaged both as confectionery and biscuits.
- Children’s biscuits eg Jammie Dodgers.
- Seasonal biscuit selections.
Non-sweet biscuits include:
- Crackers and crispbreads: includes savoury cracker biscuits, crispbreads, toasts, crisp rolls, rice cakes, matzos, eg Cream Crackers, Water Biscuits, Jacob’s Olive Oil & Oregano Crackers, as well as snack-style products sold in the savoury biscuit aisle of the supermarket eg Snack a Jacks, Ryvita Minis.
- Savoury biscuits: including cheese-flavoured biscuits, thins, oatcakes, flavoured biscuits (not crackers), cheese straws, breadsticks, eg TUC, Ritz, Cheddars, Sesame Seed Biscuits.
- Mini savoury snack biscuits: including mini bite-sized baked snacks, based on existing savoury biscuits, which tend to be merchandised in the savoury biscuit aisle in the multiple grocers, for example, Mini TUC.
Excluded from this report are:
- Countlines not marketed as biscuits are excluded from this report (eg Mars Bars, Snickers).
- Cereal bars, rice cakes and breakfast snack bars are excluded, however, cereal bars which are positioned in the biscuit fixture as opposed to breakfast bars are referred to wherever relevant as some biscuit manufacturers consider them to be part of the market.
- Savoury snacks, such as Quavers and Doritos, which are fried or extruded, and not baked as biscuits.
- Savoury biscuits that are sold within the crisps and snacks aisle, despite being oven-baked, are also excluded, for example Pretzels, Party Snacks, Twiglets and Mini Cheddars.
Cracker and cheese or meat products that are packaged together, and sold in the chiller cabinet, are also excluded, for example Kraft Lunchables.