Black Consumers and Household Products - US - March 2014
"Maintaining a clean home is important to Black consumers. A clean home is direct reflection of what others think about them, and a clean home means a healthy family. Black consumers are all about prevention, and rely on products that have ingredients to help remove germs and odors. Blacks teach their children early in life to do their part of chores around the house."
- Tonya Roberts, Multicultural Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Are Black consumers are more likely to be germaphobes?
- Blacks want natural products, but can they give up scent?
- What can marketers do to help parents involve their young children with chores?
Black consumers spent nearly $4 billion on household products in 2013, which is up 11% from 2010. Despite lower household incomes, Blacks are much more likely to buy brand name household products. When it comes to household products, efficacy is more important than cost. Rather than risk buying a lower-quality less expensive brand, Black consumers will shop around for the best price on their favorite household products. They are also more likely than White consumers to buy a wide array of household cleaners, laundry products, scented products, and bleach.
This report meets the following objectives related to Blacks and household products:
- Explore attitudes, behaviors, and brand preferences in each category, including size/containers preferred, whether they buy in bulk, and forms preferred
- Understand the role scent plays in household products
- Understand the importance of efficacy and how they define value
- Identify whether they are willing to trade down or switch products
- Understand where their brand loyalty may stem from – whether they tend to buy products that their parents bought
- Uncover other ways they may be using household products
- Identify whether they have a preference for buying organic, all-natural, and products for sensitive skin
- Identify key influencers for buying one brand over another
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.