Black Consumers' Beauty and Grooming Products - US - September 2014
“How Blacks define beauty may be similar to Whites in some ways, but what they see as attractive may be entirely different. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, and it is very individual. Blacks have unique beauty and grooming needs. Although there are many products on the market to meet their needs, the messages may be lost in translation and missing the mark.”
– Tonya Roberts, Multicultural Analyst
This report answers the following questions:
- How do Black consumers define beauty?
- What are some of the top concerns Black consumers have when it comes to beauty and grooming products?
- What can brands do to attract Black consumers?
- Understanding that inner beauty is the fabric underlying outer beauty, marketers will need to tap into some of the inner beauty traits in their messaging and images they display of Black consumers. It’s important for advertising to resonate with Black consumers, not only on a personal level, but also on a cultural level.
- Many believe that Black people define beauty differently from other consumers. This is evident in the images they often see in media. Simply said, Black consumers need to see themselves in ads in order for them to attract their attention, and believe that marketers “get them.” Black consumers are also looking for advertisements and marketing messages that include models with various skin tones, hairstyles, lifestyles, etc.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.