Black Haircare - US - August 2013
“Image is everything to Black consumers and they are keenly aware that hair plays a key role in how people view them. In the Black community, there are sensitivities revolving around hair. Today, Blacks are learning to embrace and love their hair. It is likely that natural hairstyles are here to stay, but an evolution of styles may be trending.”
– Tonya Roberts, Multicultural Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- The role and importance of hair to Black consumers
- How will the trend toward natural hair continue to influence the market?
- What role do men play in the Black haircare category?
- The brands Black consumers buy—heritage Black haircare brands, newer Black haircare brands, and mainstream brands, as well as where Black consumers are buying haircare products
- The natural hair trend is exploding as new products are popping up every day, but what do Black consumers feel about what “corporate America” has to say about their new look? There’s a lot of chatter online about the perception that natural styles/looks (e.g., braids or locks) are not as professional—among Black consumers and White consumers. As the natural styles are evolving from the late 1960s and ’70s, can heritage brands like SoftSheen-Carson make a comeback? How are the newer brands winning over the Black consumer?
- Black men are a viable and often ignored segment: Unlike their general market counterparts, African-American men have different hair product needs than women. What should marketers do to successfully meet the needs of the lucrative Black male market? What are some of the similarities and differences in the way Black men and women view haircare?
- Shampoo and conditioners
- Styling products
- Relaxers Weaves, braids, and extensions
- Hair color
- Styling tools
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.