Black Haircare - US - August 2016
"The Black haircare market is experiencing soft sales similar to mainstream haircare. Estimated 2016 expenditures by Black consumers on haircare products are about $2.5 billion as Black consumers flock to brands that cater to their specific haircare needs. Despite soft sales, several brands are making inroads within the category with premium priced products sold within traditional retail outlets. Meanwhile, major mainstream and targeted brands are moving toward the center with multicultural positioning, presumably to increase market share among White and Hispanic consumers as a natural and healthy alternative. As Black consumers, and especially women, learn to style their hair on their own and grow comfortable with the versatility of their texture, brands that deliver on treatment and styling claims will win."
This report will cover the followings areas:
- Natural ingredients are the "greens fees" for product purchase and usage
- Social media and WOM drive product use, hair maintenance routine, education
- Regimen product lines based on specific hair challenges, styling choices, texture growing in prominence
- Wearing a variety of styles can damage hair; products promising hair health resonate
- Millennials and Boomers adopting natural styles
- Relaxer sales are falling, innovation is not saving the category
- Consumers perceive Black-targeted hair brands shifting to multicultural positioning
- Basic maintenance creates the canvas for styling versatility
This Report covers haircare products that are formulated specifically for or marketed to Black consumers, as well as general market haircare products that are purchased by Black consumers.
The following categories are covered:
- Styling products, including hair spray
- Home hair color
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.