Blacks and Food: Breakfast, Baking, and Beverages - US - September 2011
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Black population will reach 42.1 million by 2015, an 11.7% increase from 2005. Black buying power is continually on the rise and is expected to climb to $1.1 trillion by 2014. Higher education levels, and the resulting higher-paying jobs, are the primary drivers behind this increasing purchasing power. As a result, Black affluence is also on the increase, with 2.4 million African Americans having household incomes more than $75K. Blacks are becoming an increasingly influential consumer group, both in number and in the amount of money they spend on food and drink.
This, in combination with their gusto for large breakfasts, baking and dessert foods, and many beverage types, makes Black consumers a segment worthy of attention from marketers of these products. Blacks’ heritage of soul food plus their interest in new product concepts make them prime consumers of many key products, purchased anywhere from restaurant drive-throughs, to grocers, to vending machines.
This report provides insights that will help marketers engage the Black consumer through the following topics:
- Changes in Blacks’ spending on certain grocery products in the past years, and the types of products with the greatest future potential among this consumer group
- The types of breakfast foods, bakery and dessert items, and beverages most consumed by Blacks, including preferences based on age, gender, household income and region
- Blacks’ attitudes towards breakfast and where and how often they purchase breakfast foods
- The product attributes that drive Blacks’ to purchase certain breakfast, baking and beverage items, such as those that are diet-specific or functional
- Blacks’ attitudes toward artificial sweeteners and alternatives to these ingredients
- Methods that advertisers have already employed in television, print and online campaigns targeting Black consumers, including analysis of those which are most effective in potentially engaging this audience
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.