Book Retailing - US - March 2010
The recession has significantly impacted retail book sales. Sales of all books declined 5% between 2007 and 2009, to $23.9 billion. When professional and educational books are excluded, sales declined 4%, to $11 billion. As sales of trade hardback and paperback books dropped, e-book sales soared. Sales of e-books, after reaching $313 million in 2009 from almost nothing in 2004, are forecast to eclipse $1 billion by 2012.
Traditional book retailers must remain relevant and viable to consumers in a world where more and more people are reading books on e-readers, PCs and iPads. The alternative: go the way of music retailers like Tower Records or Sam Goody in the wake of the iPod and iTunes Store.
Analysis and insights include:
- Size and growth forecast for book retailing including adult and juvenile hardback and paperbacks and e-book segments
- Market drivers and competitive context
- Role and growth of e-books and online retailing compared to traditional retailing
- Purchase intent for e-readers
- Innovation and innovators
- Leading retailers and brand qualities
- Consumer opinions and behavior including book selection, e-book usage, place of purchase and the book selection process
- Examination of consumer opinions and behaviors by race and Hispanic origin as well as for teens and kids
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.