Bottled Sauces - UK - November 2010
This report examines the UK retail market for ready-to-eat bottled sauces. These are generally added to a meal at the table as an accompaniment, although they can also be used as an ingredient in cooking. The market can be segmented into table sauces and dish-specific sauces.
For the first time, this report also includes mayonnaise.
- The future growth of the 25-34 population bodes well for the bottled sauces sector as this group is the most prolific in its repertoire of sauces and highly willing to try new varieties and flavours.
- Those in the AB socio-economic group are certainly motivated by premium products, dominating consumption for the majority of sauces including balsamic vinegar, mustard and Oriental sauces. This group are also the prime target for brands looking to drive sales by encouraging the use of sauces to customise meals.
- Advertising aimed at promoting the versatility of bottled sauces should focus on women, as they are the most likely to use bottled sauces in a variety of ways with men sticking to using them primarily as an accompaniment.
- Products with a strong healthy eating message, either in terms of free-from or low calorie content claims, can be used to tap in the 38% of consumers, particularly women and households with children, for whom health is an important factor.
- The development of natural sweeteners, such as stevia and xylitol, as highlighted by the launch of Xylitol tomato ketchup in the UK, could be more widely adopted by the major players in the bottled sauces market, giving peace of mind to parents looking for a healthier alternative for the children, or themselves.
- Brands and manufacturers have been seeing a polarisation in sizes over the past couple of years ,as they attempt to cater for the surge in one-person households while offering value options for families during times of economic uncertainty. Offering bottled sauces in a wider variety of formats and sizes, especially in the categories such as ketchup and mayonnaise where penetration is so high, is helping to keep the sector fresh and meet consumers’ needs.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.