Bottled Water - UK - October 2009
- There is a close relationship between consumer confidence and bottled water penetration and sales. Both fell dramatically in 2007 but have shown signs of recovery in 2009. It is likely that economic caution led consumers to switch to tap water.
- Volume sales of bottled water declined by 11% between 2006 and 2008. However, the decline has slowed to 1% in 2009. This means the market is now selling 2.3 bn litres of water at a value of £1.9bn, with both volume and value sales forecast to grow steadily from 2011 onwards.
- Even bottled water drinkers are sceptical about its value. Only 2.1m of the UK online population think of it as value for money compared to 8.1m who think it is a “bit of a con”.
- However, consumers also see a number of benefits in bottled water. There are 5.3m online users who think that without buying bottled they would not drink enough water. And 4.5m that it is healthier for them because it stops them drinking sugary soft drinks and caffeine.
- The bottled water market is currently more price- than brand-led with 11.9m online bottled water drinkers motivated to buy whichever brand is cheapest. Only 5.2m are motivated to buy a brand they trust, but 7m drinkers are influenced by “an easy-to-carry” bottle.
- Glacéau Vitamin Water (Coca-Cola) is a flavoured water drink fortified with vitamins such as B and C. It entered into the UK market in 2008 having grown its sales by over 450% in the US market between 2005 and 2008.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.