Bread and Baked Goods - UK - January 2011
When Mintel last examined the market for Bread and Baked Goods in February 2009, rising wheat prices and the economic downturn were proving challenging for the category. Since then, penetration of bread has remained high at over 95%; however, frequency of bread consumption has continued to decrease.
- Freshness is the top consideration for consumers buying bread, with 78% citing it above type and price.
- With price featuring as only the third consideration for consumers, and with a substantial 38% explicitly expressing a willingness to pay more for a premium variety of loaf, there is scope for brands to achieve differentiation with an ethical stance.
- Bread and baked goods face increasing competition from breakfast cereals for the all important breakfast occasion. This is one of the key reasons that while penetration of bread has remained high at over 95%, frequency of consumption is still in decline.
- The increased innovation in healthier bread ranges has provided consumers with more choice, dampening the demand for white bread. While white bread remains the largest segment brown bread has seen faster growth and presents greater opportunities for premiumisation.
- Own-label lost market share in 2010 as it failed to keep pace with the rest of the market even though just under half of all consumers claim they can taste the difference between branded and own-label bread ranges, with just over a half buying the same brand of bread for day-to-day use.
- The demand for more natural products has been driven by a number of factors, including concerns about food safety and consumers’ greater scrutiny of food labels.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.