Bread and Bread Products - US - September 2014
“The US bread and bread products market is experiencing slow growth in 2014 and is expected to continue this pattern into 2019. Many consumers perceive bread as too high in carbohydrates and calories. Low-carb, low-calorie, and generally healthier breads (such as high fiber brands) are likely to help sales, as nearly half of consumers surveyed by Mintel say healthful eating motivates them to select the bread they buy most over the last six months.”
- Amy Kraushaar, US Category Manager, Food and Drink
This report answers the following questions:
- How can brands overcome nutritional concerns?
- How can brands attract Millennials?
- Can brands encourage more snacking, appetizers?
- Roughly a third of bread buyers say they are eating less bread because it is too high in carbohydrates and calories, and nearly two in 10 say it has too much sugar. Some 11% say bread lacks adequate nutrients.
- Some 45% of buyers cite eating more healthfully as a reason for buying the breads they did buy most often in the last six months.
- The high rate of adult obesity in the US likely factors into buyers’ decision to eat less bread.
- While many brands offer BFY varieties such as whole grain, light, and high fiber, brands still have an opportunity to better reach those buyers who are eating less bread due to nutritional considerations.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.