Bread - US - June 2009
Bread is a mature market with 99% US household penetration. From 2003-07, sales were essentially flat after accounting for inflation. However in 2008, amid a troubled economic climate, bread sales surged as consumers shifted from eating meals out at restaurants to preparing meals at home.
This report discusses how consumer trends, the economy, and product innovation are shaping the bread market. In addition to presenting sales data by segment, supplier and brand, the report considers a range of topics, including:
- How the healthy eating trend has transformed the category during the past five years
- How the current economic recession is changing the way consumers shop for bread
- The impact of rising retail prices for bread
- Why growth in the fresh buns/rolls/croissants segment is outpacing other segments
- How private label brands are reinventing themselves—and stealing market share
- A spotlight on two brands, Pillsbury and Healthy Life, that have carved out distinct brand identities to help them stand out in a crowded category
- How brands are using advertising to clear up the confusion around whole grain breads and push bake-at-home breads as a way to make at-home meals feel special
- The latest trends in product innovation, from artisan breads to functional breads
- Separate analysis of usage data for high-potential demographic groups
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.