Breakfast Restaurant Trends - US - February 2012
Breakfast has been a notable trend in the restaurant industry as operators have either added breakfast platforms or revitalized breakfast offerings to counter declines in traffic and tepid consumer spending. Mintel Menu Insights shows a 24.2% increase in number of breakfast menu items available from Q3 2009 – Q3 2011. Despite such efforts, breakfast restaurant sales improved an unimpressive 2% from 2006-11, with sales reaching an estimated $25.4 billion in 2011.
Mintel’s exclusive consumer research finds that breakfast restaurant usage is stable, with 62% of respondents ordering breakfast from a restaurant in the past month. However, frequency of use remains low—with an average of 4.8 visits per month. This report seeks to provide insight and opportunities to help restaurant operators drive frequency of breakfast restaurant usage. To that end, Mintel presents analysis of breakfast restaurant trends while incorporating proprietary research featuring consumer attitudes and behaviors toward breakfast including:
- Competitive position of breakfast at restaurants against breakfast at home
- The influence of macroeconomic data on breakfast restaurant usage
- The impact of population shifts by age, Hispanic origin, and presence of children in the household on breakfast restaurant usage
- Restaurant analysis of limited-service breakfast and full-service breakfast
- Breakfast menu analysis by restaurant segment, menu item and ingredient claims
- Strategic marketing efforts to promote breakfast menu items and platforms
- Consumer breakfast usage by type of restaurant, procurement method, and frequency
- Analysis of breakfast restaurant usage by weekday and weekend, including differences in time of day, spending and menu items ordered
- Factors that most influence breakfast restaurant users’ choice in restaurants
- Breakfast menu items and attributes that garner the most interest from breakfast restaurant users
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.